Monday, December 28, 2015

Review: For Sure and Certain

For this review, I chose For Sure and Certain by Anya Monroe.

I received a copy of the ebook for a honest review of this book.

Here is a brief description from Goodreads:
***She knits, cans jam, and lives in the city. He’s an Amish college student, breaking the rules. They're so right, it's wrong.***

Marigold, a recent high school graduate with a shady past, is looking to redefine herself. She doesn’t know what she wants exactly, but college isn’t it.

When she meets Abel, an Amish guy on Rumspringa, his ‘running around’ time, she doesn’t plan on falling for someone wearing a straw hat and suspenders. But she can't help it, Abel is the breath of fresh air she's been waiting for.

Abel, who’s moved to the city for a summer program at Jamestown, never imagined Marigold would be drawn to the life he was trying so hard to avoid. His family expects him to take over the family farm; college parties and dorm life don’t quite fit in with their plans for him.

Opposites attract, but nothing is easy with love. When they trade places for the summer they learn a life together isn’t as for sure and certain as they thought.
 


This was my first book by Anya Monroe.  I think it was my first book on the Amish.  It was nice seeing the differences that they live their lives.

Marigold is confused about her future.  She does not know what she wants to do and she does not want to go to college and waste her parents money.  She meets Abel, a Amish man on Rumspringa and they become good friends.  Abel takes her home for a weekend and Marigold decides she wants to stay.  She is soul searching.  Trying to decide who she is and what she wants.  She needs 8 weeks away from her life in DC.  His parents agree.  Marigold works for his mother, who is the sweetest woman I have read about.  His mother wants to open a yard store and Marigold is going to help with that.  I love how this yard store is all natural.  No chemicals, etc.  Made from the sheep they have at their farm.  Dyed right there.

Marigold and Abel has a lot in common.  They both have their family's pressure of what they think they should do with their lives.

I think this was well written with characters I could see in real dealing with not knowing who they should be when they are older.  The characters are believeable.  

I kept thinking about could I do what Marigold did?  Go live with an amish family to find yourself.  I think I would be okay for 8 weeks, but I know I could not do it permanently.  Could you?  No AC, no electric, no internet, no computers.  I love my laptop a lot.  I do give it up at times for when I have the kids and I take a step back from technology. 

☆☆☆☆☆
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.
Recommend this book? Yes! Author? Yes!
Read more from this author? Yes!

Happy Reading!
Melissa 
Review coming next: Meditations through Coloring and published by River Grove Books

FTC Disclosure: The Publisher/Author/Book Tour Company has provided me with a copy of this book for review or I have purchased the book with my own funds.  The opinion I share about the story are mine and have not been influenced by the The Publisher/Author/Book Tour Company if received for review.

No comments: