Monday, February 8, 2016

Review: A Place to Call Home: Toby's Tale

For this review, I chose A Place to Call Home: Toby's Tale by GA Whitmore.  

I requested ARC copy of the ebook through Netgalley in exchanged for a honest review.

Here is a brief description from Goodreads:
A Place to Call Home is the heartwarming and inspiring story of an abandoned white German shepherd puppy named Toby and his cross-country search for a forever home. Narrated in part by the animal characters in the book, the reader experiences Toby’s world through his eyes and those of the animals he meets on his journey.

Toby’s life begins on a farm where the carefree, happy days he has known come to an abrupt end when his breeder decides to “dispose” of him and his sister Tara because of the color of their fur. With the help of a kind farmhand, the two puppies escape unharmed.

After a tumultuous time during which Toby is shuffled from place to place, he is finally adopted, but he quickly realizes his new family has deep-seated issues that put him in danger, and what seemed like an ideal home, turns into another place he must escape from.

As Toby struggles to find a forever home where he can feel safe and secure, he experiences some painful losses, but he also makes new friends—friends who will help him to trust humans again and teach him the power of love.

Inspired by a true story, this middle grade/young adult novel can be enjoyed by dog lovers of all ages.
 


This was  the best book I have read that is about dogs.  Oh my!  The point of view was from Toby, a puppy.  We also got background information how Toby's grandparents met.  When I was reading this book, I was laying in bed with my dog, Zeus, who has been a loyal dog since we got him 10 years ago.  I was thinking about Zeus leaving his mom and siblings.  How he must have felt?  Sad and scared.  Going to a new home where he knew no one.  I think of the other animals he has met over the years with us.  What did Zeus think of them?  Especially our other dog, Bolt, who is my son's dog.  How did Zeus feel when we brought him home almost 4 years ago?  Was he happy?  Mad?  Angry?  I was then thinking how Zeus' mom felt when her puppies left one by one.  

This book made me appreciate Zeus and Bolt more.  Thank you for that.


☆☆☆☆☆
I give this book 5 out of 5 stars.
Recommend this book? Yes! Author? Yes!
Read more from this author? Yes!

Happy Reading!
Melissa 
Review coming next: Blind Date: An Erotic Romance by Morgan Kay

FTC Disclosure: The Publisher/Author/Book Tour Company has provided me with a copy of this book for review or I have purchased the book with my own funds.  The opinion I share about the story are mine and have not been influenced by the The Publisher/Author/Book Tour Company if received for review.

No comments: