Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What are you reading? Part 1

This is from my old blog & I wanted to repost.

I have been reading several books, but the other day when I went into our library to return some books & renew some, my eyes caught a glare onto this particular book & I had to check it out.  It was "Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board." We have all seen the commercials for the movie about Bethany Hamilton, the surfer, who lost her one arm, but was determined to get back to surfing and not let anything stop her.  I love her determination.  She had this dream & wanted to be a pro surfer.  She worked hard to get there.  So far, in her book, it is wonderful.  For her age, she is such a positive young lady.  I think this book is a must read for anyone going through a rough time.  I am in Chapter 10 already.  There is only 15 chapters.  A favorite quote from the book is "It helps to know that even when you don't have a clue why something has happened in your life, someone up there has a master plan and is watching over you."    Bethany took the time to call a  child that lost his arm.  All because she received an email to help him.  She had to change that child's life.  I can not wait to read the book written by Bethany's mom, Cheri, but it does not come out until June or July.  It is called " Raising a Soul Surfer."  I can not imagine what it would be like to be the mother & watching your daughter go through this.  We know that kids can overcome all kinds of things.  

A must read for those with children with asthma is: "Asthma Allergies Children: A Parent's Guide" by Paul Ehrlich, Larry Chiaramonte, with Henry Ehrlich.  This book is very helpful. I learned not to use the vacuum with the boys in the room.  I love how this book is written.  The 2 authors are doctors that actually have a practice.  They use humor, actual cases they have in their practice.  The one example that was used in the book was one of the authors was being quoted in the New York Times Magazine by saying "I tell my pateients, if people point at you when you walk down the street and say "Look at that neurotic patent," then and only then are you being careful enough."  If I had a child with food allergies, damn right I would be neurotic.  I would do everything I could to help my child.  

Melissa  

No comments: