Friday, June 14, 2013

Reading Challenge: Safe Haven 2013

I am a bit behind in my reviews. For this Reading Challenge, I chose Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks.  I really can not wait to see this movie.  I always wonder if the movie will be like the book.  Then, I am disappointed it was or maybe this time I won't be.  I loved the movie from his book, The Last Song, & I loved the book, too! 

For this Reading Challenge, I am doing it a little different.  I found Discussion Questions off of Nicholas Sparks' website so I thought I would answer them. 
  1. When Alex first meets Katie, he senses that she is in trouble. How does he figure out what has happened to her?  I think it was from all the training Alex had in the military.  He sensed something was not right.  She was single, alone, living in the middle of no where, did not drive, did not own much, & did not act like most young people her age do.
  2. What is the nature of Jo and Katie’s relationship? How does Jo help Katie adjust to her life in Southport? Jo & Katie are friends & neighbors.  Jo helps Katie see things that are there that Katie does not see.  I do not want to say anything more that would give away one of the best parts of the book, which I knew.  I loved how Nicholas Sparks put this into the book.  
  3. Katie and Alex fall in love very quickly. What draws them together? Have you ever fallen in love so quickly? If not, do you think it’s possible?  I think Katie & Alex had some help.  I think Kristen helped bring them together by asking Katie along with Alex, Josh, & Kristin.  I think Jo helped Katie see what a good man Alex is.  I met my husband, Shawn, through a blind date, & I was engaged within 6 months.  Yes, I believe you can fall in love quickly.  
  4. On their first date, Alex says to Katie: “Everyone has a past, but that’s just it – it’s in the past. You can learn from it, but you can’t change it.” Do you agree with him? Is it possible to truly put the past behind you?  I do agree with Alex.  It is possible to truly put your past behind you if you truly want to.  Leave all the hurt, anger, and move on.  Leave all that negative energy behind & start a new life with a positive attitude.  
  5. Alex is a widower who has had to raise two children on his own. How has he dealt with his grief in the years since his wife passed away? Have you experienced grief of this magnitude in your own life? How did you handle it? I have handled a different kind of grief.  Grief of losing that perfect child.  You see my daughter was born with a neurological disease.  Someone told me to grief for the loss of that perfect child I always dreamed of having.  I handled it by crying, mourning the loss of not knowing what life would be like, but I am okay now.  I feel very blessed.
  6. When Katie tells Alex about Kevin she says: “I hate him, but I hate myself, too.” Why does she feel this way? How does Katie change as she spends more and more time in Southport? How is she different by the end of the book? Katie feels like she should had known better.   Katie changed as she spends more & more time in Southport by opening up & becoming more herself.  
  7. Despite his violent behavior and his incessant drinking, Kevin quotes the Bible constantly and takes the Ten Commandments seriously. How do you understand his behavior?
  8. Katie’s past puts Alex and his family in potential danger. Do you think it was irresponsible of Alex to involve himself with a woman he knew could endanger him and his children? I do not think it was irresponsible of Alex to involve himself with a woman he knew that could endanger him & his children.  First, Alex & Katie does not know if her husband would find her or even come to get her.  You can not live your live in fear.  Alex can not teach his children to live your life to live in fear.
  9. Why do you think the author chose to write a portion of the book from Kevin’s perspective. Do you have any sympathy for Kevin? Why or why not? I think Nicholas Sparks wrote a portion of the book from Kevin's perspective to let us know how he was feeling, how it was in his shoes.  I did not have any sympathy for Kevin.  He was the one who hit his wife, who made his bed, & has to live with the consequences.   
  10. Did reading this book give you a new or better understanding of domestic abuse? Reading this book gave me a better understanding of domestic abuse.
  11. At the end of the novel, Alex tells Katie he is sorry for her loss. What does he mean by this? How does Katie react? Alex meant that Katie lost her husband.  She has a right to mourn his death like everyone else who has lost someone.  Katie reacted by .....
  12. What do you make of Katie’s discovery at the end of the novel? Do you find the book’s ending believable? I love what Katie discovered.  I do find the book ending believeable.
  13. This novel is in large part about safety and trust and how we often take these two things for granted. Did this book make you think differently about your own life and the things you value? We take safety seriously here in our home for 2 reasons: 1.  Ashleigh is disabled & so am I.  We have to have the hallways & rooms clear.  We work on this daily.  Ashleigh works very hard to keep her room clean.  Some days it takes her longer than others.  2. My husband, Shawn, is a volunteer Fireman/EMT.  We are working on decluttering to decrease a fire hazard.  Also, I think safety when you are out of your home shopping, etc, is important.  To know who, what is around you is very important.  I do that very time I am out.  My family values each other.  Family & friends are very important to us.  
I hope you enjoyed my review. Let me know if you are planning to see the movie.  I hope I can go see it.  It comes out February 14, 2013.


Melissa

No comments: