Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Q&A with Donna Alward

Q:  Where did the idea for the plot come from?
A: The actual plot is a bit of a mashup, really. I wanted to write the stories about the two princes for a long, long time. In fact, I once proposed a version of the story to the Harlequin UK office when the Modern Extra line happened (I wasn’t a good fit. It makes sense now). At first there were no children in the stories, and the heroine was in the country on business… but then at some point it morphed into needing a nanny. It was one of those plots that evolved over time until I was ready to finally sit down and write it.


Q: Who is your favorite character? Why?
A: I really like Stephani. She’s a minor character in this book, and the heroine in the next one. She’s a bit of a mystery, really. Horribly efficient and flies under the radar a bit as Raoul’s Executive Assistant. She also plays fairy godmother to Rose, and I had a lot of fun with that.


Q: Who is your least favorite character? Why?
A: There’s only one character I don’t like, and I’m not telling because that would be a huge spoiler!


Q:  Which is your favorite scene in the book? Why?
A: The fountain in the garden on her first night at the palace. To be honest, when Diego looks down and sees her walking, it reminds me of Captain VonTrapp watching Maria in that oh-so-pivotal scene in The Sound of Music.


Q:  What do you most like to do when you are not writing?
A: Read, knit, walk, yoga…anything that can chip away at my stress level.

Q:  What's the story behind why and how you became an author?
A: In 2000, I ended up with a horrible case of Post-Partum Depression. About 14 months into my recovery, I was lamenting being “bored” – which had little to do with not having anything to do, and was really about not feeling challenged or inspired. My sister suggested I stop whining and write a book. So I did. And I fell in love with writing again (I have a degree in literature) and never looked back.

Q:  What is your favorite movie? Why? 
A: Oh my. Love Actually is one of my faves, but I really have SO many. Just last night I re-watched The American President. I love The Holiday. And Also The Last Holiday and Roman Holiday… hmmm, maybe I just like escapism? (Clearly with a palate cleanser of Sorkin dialogue!)


Q:  Are you thinking of releasing any more books anytime soon? 
A: Of course! You can look for a holiday novella on October 3, DECK THE HALLS, which is part of my Darling, VT series, and then the follow up to this release, THE CROWN PRINCE’S BRIDE, is out on January 9.


Q:  Nice cover! What's the inspiration behind it? 
A: A Mediterranean destination, a castle, and a little intimacy during the off-hours? Heck yeah!


Q:  If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?
A: EUROPE. Lots of countries in Europe. I want to go on a European Tour (said in poncey accent). Seriously, though, I’d like to see more of the UK, then France, Germany, Italy, Spain… I’ve heard Prague is stunning and then there’s Portugal and Greece…


Q: Which part of the book was the most difficult to write, and why?
A: Actually, it was toward the end, when I had to pull Diego and Rose apart for a short time. It’s hard to keep the tension going when they’re on different continents! Thankfully it wasn’t for very long and Diego had to come home and face the music.

No comments: