
When Prophecy Replaces Accountability
Religion / Christian Living / Spiritual Growth
Date Published: June 30, 2026
Publisher: Lucid Books Publishing
What happens when someone claims to speak for God—but refuses to
answer to anyone?
In today’s platform-driven culture, prophetic voices can gain influence
almost overnight. But when charisma grows faster than character and authority
operates without accountability, the Church becomes vulnerable to confusion,
manipulation, and spiritual harm.
In The Self-Chosen One: When Prophecy Replaces Accountability, pastor Kevin P.
Horath addresses this growing challenge. Writing from the perspective of a
pastor who deeply values the work of the Holy Spirit, Horath does not reject
prophecy. Instead, he calls the Church to restore it to its proper place
within humility, character, and biblical oversight.
In this book you will discover:
• How to recognize genuine prophetic ministry versus self-appointed
authority
• Why spiritual gifts must function within biblical
accountability and church structure
• How social media and platform
culture have reshaped spiritual influence
• The dangers of spiritual
narcissism and unchecked charisma
• Practical ways pastors and
leaders can protect congregations
• How to test prophetic claims
without rejecting the Spirit
The Self-Chosen One is a warning and an invitation—helping the Church
recover a healthy balance between Spirit and Scripture, passion and
discernment.
Excerpt
My encounter with a Self-Chosen One began with a text message. It was
not the usual kind that pastors get after Sunday service; there was no
prayer request, no call for a visit, no appreciation for the Sunday message,
no real question, and no real curiosity about Scripture. This one came
to my personal phone number. It was followed by another text and another.
I received multiple challenging texts after several of my sermons. Many
messages arrived after hours. There were frequent intrusions into
weekends and family time. Boundaries were crossed, but I would
often still respond. What was the sender’s goal? Well, it wasn’t to
learn; it was to correct. That quickly became obvious to me as I realized
these messages were an attempt to either bring me under subjection
or to bring me down.
Why do I say that? Well, it’s a strange thing—the moment
you realize someone isn’t reaching out for discipleship; instead,
they are seeking dominance. I sensed a struggle for control in
which I had no desire to engage. More than mere immaturity,
people like that aren’t seeking truth; they’re seeking validation,
even though they may not even realize it. Very quickly, the
conversation stops being about Christ and starts revolving around
their revelation, their private interpretation, their anointing, and
their feeling that they are the chosen one. You can almost feel
the shift from feigned humble inquiry to arrogant holy superiority. I
sure did.
And then it came: the announcement that he was a prophet
and, along with that declaration, came an ultimatum. Either
I yield to his correction, or I would face the wrath of God,
which included my destruction and the downfall of the
walls of our church.
Was he being literal or figurative? I didn’t know. But
with his confirmed checkered past, my protective mode
was instantly activated. No, I didn’t believe the things
he prophesied were going to happen. Not from God anyway.
But something did happen. I faced his wrath as he insulted,
gaslit, and harassed me relentlessly. Every message dripped with
superiority; each text contained attempts at subtle manipulation,
and many social media posts gave veiled (and not-so-veiled)
physical threats cloaked in “thus saith the Lord.”
No, this wasn’t one-on-one discipleship. It was a battle for
my spiritual covering.
authority in the local church. It was his word against God’s
Word, his position against mine. At first, this wasn’t even
about anointing. It was about appointing. Specifically, it was
his self-appointment without any spiritual oversight versus
my appointment recognized by the laying on of hands of
When one of his friends even suggested laying hands on me
in a different, violent way, I felt the situation was quickly
spiraling out of control. This wasn’t simply personal ministry
anymore. It was a spiritual battle that was beginning to feel
more like a battle against flesh and blood. What should
I do? What did I do?
We will return to that a little later.
For now, I want to investigate what brought
me to this point. Initially, I thought this was just
one person who was sincere but misguided. I thought
it was an anomaly, a one-off that I just happened to
stumble into. But as I researched his social media posts
and his shared memes and videos more thoroughly and as
soon as I investigated this troubling mindset, I quickly began
to see a similar pattern in others. I found myself face-to-face
with a troubling subculture of Christianity.
When you are aware of it, you begin to realize that this
spirit of the self-appointed, self-anointed, and self-sent
prophet is showing up in many places, particularly
online through social media.
It thrives on fire but avoids correction. It declares
authority but rejects accountability. It’s zealous, emotional,
even sometimes eloquent, yet utterly detached from
any healthy community.
It’s what I’ve come to call “Vagabond Christianity,”
meaning these are believers wandering from truth to truth,
church to church, emotion to emotion, never rooted, never
accountable, never truly anchored in doctrine or fellowship.
They sometimes call themselves the chosen ones. I call them the
Self-Chosen Ones. They are prophets with no pastors, warriors
with no army, and voices with no body. They preach freedom
but live in rebellion. Perhaps anarchy is an even better term. But
they don’t see that in themselves. They claim divine revelation,
but display no fruit of submission, even sometimes using the
words, “I submit to no man,” and their words are
laced with violent overtones.
Beyond that, they often misquote, misuse, and
misunderstand Scripture. Unfortunately, the Self-Chosen
One’s constant misquoting and using Scripture out of context
is almost always couched with the claim that their
understanding of Scripture comes by way of divine
revelation or private interpretation. As one who is
chosen, the meaning of Scripture has been allegedly
and uniquely disclosed directly to them by God.
The implication is, even if they are engaging in eisegesis
or an inappropriate use of Scripture, it is justified
because God granted them a new understanding,
one that no one else has, despite centuries of biblical
discernment passed down to us. No, this is spiritual
discernment turned on its head or thrown out with
yesterday’s trash. It is a troubling and sobering trend.
In any case, the truth is this. A perfect God does not
contradict Himself, nor does He give people permission
to distort His Word for their own self-aggrandizement. Yet
here’s the tragedy: Many of these people were once
desperate for God. Maybe they still are.
About the Author
Kevin P. Horath is the Lead Pastor of Hillside Bethel Ministries in Decatur,
Illinois, where he also oversees Hillside Bethel Christian School. After
nearly thirty years as a healthcare human resources executive, he stepped into
full-time ministry with a passion for helping people apply biblical truth to
everyday life. Kevin writes and teaches about healthy church leadership,
spiritual discernment, and the practical work of building strong Christian
communities. He and his wife, Kathy, live in Decatur and enjoy time together
sailing on Lake Decatur and serving their local church and community. The
Self-Chosen One reflects his heart for protecting the Church while preserving
genuine spiritual vitality.
Contact Links
Website
http://www.hillsidebethel.com
LinkedIn
Facebook
Purchase Links
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

div<>/
No comments:
Post a Comment