Monday, September 28, 2026

Teaser: It's All About Love by Cynthia Hilston

 


 

 Women's Fiction / Historical Fiction / Romance
Date Published: 11-10-2026


 


 San Francisco, 1967. The Summer of Love promises radical freedom—but for twenty-year-old Juliette, it becomes a dangerous trap.
 
Desperate to escape her conventional family, Juliette shocks her parents by announcing her engagement to David, a long-haired free spirit. When her father, Tristan—a famous novelist harboring a tragic past—vehemently forbids the union, Juliette acts on impulse. In the dead of night, she climbs out her window and flees with David to the counterculture epicenter of Haight-Ashbury.
 
But beneath the cloud of incense and rock 'n' roll, independence carries a steep price. As David drifts into a haze of drugs and broken promises, Juliette’s bohemian dream shatters. Back home, her flight reopens old wounds. Her fiercely protective mother, Lorna, must help Tristan confront the shadows of his past as they desperately try to pull their daughter back from the edge before it's too late.
 
It’s All About Love is a poignant coming-of-age story about the fragile line between rebellion and destruction and the enduring, messy grace of family.


Excerpt

“I’m getting married!” Juliette burst through the door, holding her ring finger up for the world to see. Well, for my dear husband of twenty-two years and me to see.
            Said dear husband rose from his chair with such gusto that the poor chair clattered to the floor, victim of his temper. “What?!”
            The humid June air clung to the back of my neck as I stood. Pushing my graying hair out of my eyes, I took a step toward my husband and placed a hand on his upper arm. I recognized the fear that flashed beneath his anger. I’d seen that look far too many times lately as she missed her curfew night after night all summer long.  “Tristan, dear, just...calm down, okay?” I cast a pleading glance between him and our daughter. I could see the words on the edge of his tongue. Don’t follow in my footsteps. His own impulsive marriage led to a tragedy that impacted both our lives. I knew the thought of Juliette repeating his mistakes kept him awake at night.
            “Calm down?” Tristan tossed his hands up; then his arms flopped to his thin torso’s sides.
            “Your heart,” I said, stepping in front of him. “Please.”
            He released a sound somewhere between a growl and a groan, then righted his chair and sat. “So, who’s the lucky guy?” he shot at Juliette. “Don’t tell me it’s that long-haired hippie.”
It wasn’t just the hair. David's casual attitude toward drugs reminded Tristan too much of his own dance with addiction, though he'd never admit that to her.
            Juliette stood just inside the open door. Only the screen separated her from darting outside and the darkness swallowing her for another late night. Another night without a curfew. Another night we hoped we could trust her judgment. Another night our little girl proved she wasn’t so little anymore.
            She crossed her arms over her chest and sent her dad a glare worthy of one of his own. Her blue eyes held the same spark that challenged, much like Tristan’s eyes. “Seriously, Dad? Like you should talk.” She gestured toward his messy, longish hair.
            “That’s not the point,” Tristan said, teeth clenched. “You can’t just go running off with the first guy who puts a ring on your finger. If he had any decency, he’d have asked us first.”
            Juliette closed the door and scoffed. “It’s 1967, Daddio.” She popped her gum as she leaned against the table. “I don’t need your permission.”
            “Like hell you don’t.” Tristan stood, the menacing tone creeping back into his voice.
            I came between them. “Okay, both of you… Can’t we talk about this?”
            Juliette shifted her gaze to me. “Mom, please. Can’t you make Dad see reason?”
            I held back a sigh and lifted my hand. About to place it on her shoulder, I resisted and let my arm drop. “Juliette, this isn’t a good idea. David isn’t—”
            “Isn’t what, Mom?” A tremor ran through her voice. She blinked rapidly, then stepped away. She headed for the door to the dining and living rooms, stopping before she exited. “Why can’t you just be happy for me for once?” Her footsteps banged through the house and up the stairs. A slam of her bedroom door and I knew it would be unwise to knock anytime the rest of the night.
 

 

About the Author


Bestselling and award-winning author of the Lorna & Tristan Series, Cynthia Hilston is a stay-at-home mom of three young kids, happily married, and lives in the Cleveland, Ohio, area. Writing has always been like another child to her. After twenty years of waltzing in the world of fan fiction, she has stepped away to do her debut dance with original works of fiction, although she still dabbles in fan fiction.
In her spare time–what spare time?–she devours books, pets her kitties, looks at the stars, drinks wine or coffee with good friends, and dreams of what other stories she wishes to tell.

Contact Links
TikTok: @cynthiahilston
Youtube: @cyndihilston

Preorder Link

Amazon


RABT Book Tours & PR

No comments: