Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Reading Challenge: Adopt-a-Dad

Another library e-book!!  This time I chose Adopt-a-Dad by Bonnie K Winn.  This was the first book I read by Bonnie K Winn & I looked on Amazon for more books by her.  I saw a few that I want to read.  OK, there was more than a few.  

What would you do if you went to the store & had your grocery cart stolen by 3 kids?  Luke followed the kids & his grocery cart.  He found 3 orphaned kids that are very hungry.  The kids' mother died, the kids (Brad, Hannah, & Troy) were going into foster care so they ran away.  Luke took the kids home with him & fed them.  He called his sister, Rachel, who is a social worker.  His sister & other siblings brought the kids clothes & beds along with toys.  Another social worker, Kealey, showed up.  Luke was not happy about her being the social worker that he will be assigned.  He decided that the kids have been through enough & to keep them with him until the kids could have foster homes or a permanent home all together.

Jane, Luke's mother, said "Kealey, being a mother isn't a definition from Webster's.  It's about bringing out the best in kids, encouraging them in a way that teaches. Like today, I'm not saying they growing to be veterinarians or philanthropists.  But just maybe, they'll grow into adults who care about others, especially those who can't help themselves." (Kindle page 150)
I really love this quote.  I really pray our children grow up to be adults that help others.  Like yesterday, we could have stayed home watching tv or playing, but instead we decided to help a friend, who was working a double & is diabetic.  He did not know he would be working that much & did not have enough food to make it through his shifts.  We did not want him to skip a meal & have his insulin level get messed up.  I showed my children that helping others matter.

Another quote I love that Jane said is "but life has a way of grabbing you and making you adjust to change whether you want it or not." (Kindle page 152)
This is so true.  We have had so many changes in our life.  I know we will have more changes, too.  That is what life is all about. 

I really enjoyed this book.  I learned about Luke's childhood vs Kealey's childhood.  Very different.  Learned about Luke's big family & how they welcomed everyone!! I forgot to mention that Luke is a vet.  We learned a lot of about the 3 kids, where they ended up living, & a lot more, but as always, you have to read the book to find out.  I highly recommend this book. 

Keep on Reading!
Melissa

No comments: